Physical Therapy Assistant- Registry-Marianjoy
- 4 days ago Post Date
- 0022772 Requisition #
- Assumes responsibility and is accountable for providing physical therapy modalities and treatment procedures as determined by a treatment plan established by a physical therapist and in accordance with established hospital and departmental policies while maintaining the highest degree of quality patient care.
- Provides physical therapy interventions in accordance with the treatment plan; provides patient and family teaching; and works cooperatively with other patient team personnel. These functions are carried out according to hospital policy in accordance with the mission and vision of the hospital and with the philosophy of the department.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for care provided to those patients treated by physical therapist assistant students.
- May modify a specific intervention procedure in accordance with changes in patient status and within the scope of the established plan of care. Any modifications beyond the established plan of care requires the approval of the physical therapist.
- Makes appropriate and judicious use of doubled, group and/or joint treatment sessions.
- Maintains productivity level of direct patient care as outlined by Marianjoy policy.
- Maintains treatment area, equipment and supply inventory.
- Schedules and prioritizes workload.
- Collaborates with supervising physical therapist regarding termination of services when maximum benefit is achieved.
- Communicates effectively, both verbally and non-verbally, with patients and caregivers at levels appropriate to their age, cognitive status and language abilities and informs them of necessary information related to diagnosis, functional level and potential outcomes.
- Interacts and practices in collaboration with a variety of professionals.
- Documents, on an ongoing basis, services provided, responses to services, and changes in status relative to plan of care in a complete, accurate and timely manner.
- Instructs patients and family regarding functional activities, home programs, and equipment use as well as determines with the supervising physical therapist whether additional education is needed.
- Participates in the fieldwork education process by establishing a supportive environment that facilitates the pursuit of learning while supervising physical therapist assistant students.
- Provides supervision for the physical therapist assistant student according to Marianjoy policy and procedures, state licensure laws, and APTA Standards of Practice.
- Educates and provides consultation to consumers and the general public regarding the roles of the physical therapist and physical therapist assistant, as well as prevention and wellness services, including screenings and health promotion.
- Assists in performance improvement and supports program development activities.
- Contributes to cost effectiveness of services and programs provided by the department.
- Communicates suggestions related to opportunities for improvement and maintaining positive relations with all customers.
- Identifies professional strengths and weaknesses and assumes responsibility for professional growth.
- Participates in internal and external continuing education opportunities and shares learning with Marianjoy staff.
- Rotates services as assigned based on census at home/program site.
- Complies with, and adjusts to, policy and procedure changes within the program/site and Marianjoy.
- Based on patient’s cognitive, physical, age and functional limitations, utilizes safe and appropriate guarding techniques and assistive/adaptive devices.
- Maintains knowledge of Marianjoy and partners’ policies and procedures concerning precautions, codes, conditions, warnings, and general safety.
- Delivers services consistent with the established Marianjoy Mission and Philosophy.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and respects the rights and dignity of all individuals.
- Complies with current APTA Code of Ethics, and state licensure laws.
- Must work a minimum of 192 hrs/year
- Must work 24 hours per weekend rotation (totaling 96/year)
- Must work 1 summer and winter holiday
- Must be CPR certified
- Completion of all annual mandatory education.
- Associate Degree: Physical Therapist Assistant Associate degree, accredited by an agency recognized by the Secretary of the United States Department of Education or the Council of Post Secondary Accreditation, is required.
- Two to three years of previous work experience delivering physical therapy services in a program and environment similar to Marianjoy is preferred. New graduates may be qualified if clinical fieldwork experience is applicable and supervision by an experienced physical therapist is available.
Maintains license to practice as a Physical Therapist Assistant in the State of Practice (or licensure application on file with the State Department of Professional Regulation), if required by state of practice.
- Maintains current CPR certification.
- Applicable treatment knowledge of preferred practice patterns related to various patient populations
Understanding of state, federal, and professional practice laws, regulations, and licensing requirements.
Basic proficiency with a computer keyboard is required.
Above average written and verbal communication skills.
Flexibility and ability to manage work in a changing environment.