- Monitors, and is accountable for, quality of patient care and customer satisfaction on a 24-hour basis.
- Mentors and facilitates the development and accountability of nursing staff.
- Participates and recommends nursing staff to unit-based on patient care needs and team effectiveness.
- Participates in planning staff mix based on patient care needs.
- Manages in a participatory manner and involves staff in department decision-making process incorporating needs of staff, patients and goals of nursing.
- Develops performance plans and completes evaluations annually with each direct report and within established timeframe.
- Holds unit meetings at regular intervals to keep staff apprised of pertinent issues. Encourages staff input.
- Identifies educational needs of nursing staff and collaborates with Professional Practice Team to maintain and advance clinical skills and professional practices as it relates to the patient care rehabilitation process.
- Develops and implements annual education plan in conjunction with Professional Practice Team.
- Confers and consults with case managers to ensure coordination of discharge process, utilization management of resources to ensure customer needs are met.
- Communicates effectively with staff and all customers at levels appropriate to their age and language ability.
- Facilitates communication of admission information and treatment plan to team, based on information received from referral sources and patient needs identified upon admission.
- Interacts with individual team members to address and meet quality of care concerns and achieve standard of nursing care.
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing.
- Participates in patient conferences, professional and organizational meetings, as requested.
- Supervises personnel to assure patient care is delivered safely, effectively and professionally.
- Maintains knowledge of Marianjoy policies concerning precautions, codes, conditions, warnings and general safety procedures.
- Actively participates in patient safety issues including but not limited to 1:1 supervision and restraint reduction.
- Monitors nursing treatment plans and outcomes based on physician order and nursing practice standards, policies and procedures.
- Monitors patient charts to assure appropriate documentation is completed related to patient care and nursing process.
- Reviews trends to recommend future direction of nursing and programs based on data.
- Identifies barriers to delivery and administration of quality patient care; works with team to remove barriers.
- Implements and evaluates (PDSA) programming advancements as approved in protocols and professional delivery.
- Monitors monthly QA&I indicators as determined.
Financial Management and Viability
- With the assistance of assigned financial staff, reviews periodic financial statements and reports, and makes changes in resource allocation, spending, and other relevant business activity, to ensure the financial viability and budget compliance.
- Supports and adheres to the financial controls and related policies and procedures of WFH, and ensures that administrative and business activities are conducted in support of operational excellence.
- Develops and maintains fiscal budget and unit plan for provision of Nursing Services for the areas assigned.
- Analyzes budget and justifies variances on a monthly basis; formulates action plans, as needed.
- Responsible for daily financial review of nursing services on unit.
- Educates staff on individual patient resource allocation, as well as trends affecting current payment systems.
- Manages length of stay and discharge process to budget adjusting to achieve optimal patient outcomes in conjunction with case managers and physicians.
Human Resources Management
- With the support of and in coordination with the WFH Human Resources and Organization Development function, maintains positive personnel relations and strives to make WFH an employer of choice by ensuring that associate questions and concerns are addressed responsively.
- Ensures compliance with laws and regulations and adherence to WFH HR/OD policies and procedures.
- Ensures that performance management programs for staff and physicians are effectively administered and that all staff receives on-going feedback and coaching on job performance, competencies, values-based behaviors and developmental needs.
Compliance and Privacy
- Ensures that policies and procedures of WFH regarding corporate compliance and privacy of patient and associate information are observed.
- Exercises due diligence in contracting and other activities with legal risks, and uses the services of the WFH Office of General Counsel as appropriate.
- Personally models professional confidentiality and discretion in all communications and exchanges of information.
- Carries out normal supervisory duties and responsibilities, such as interviewing and hiring subordinates, conducting performance appraisals and granting merit pay increases, adjudicating requests for time off or other associate requests, adjudicating formal grievances or responding to other individual associate concerns, recognizing associate accomplishments, etc.
- Carries out other duties and special assignments as delegated by the supervisor.